Saturday 8 November 2014

The return to Canada. Hope, BC. October 2014.

My 55-hour bus journey from San Diego to Hope in BC, Canada (only the third time I've travelled the US west coast in two months) saw me fall asleep in Sacremento bus terminal at midnight when we were all turfed off the bus for a spring cleaning session or something. Whoosh! My backpack made it nearly all the way to Canada (Bellingham, near the border) without me. The rest of the journey constituted one long game of catch up including an unexpected night in a Portland hotel at Greyhound's expense complete with free toiletries, breakfast and transfers. A gargantuan security guard stood with me while I waited for my taxi to arrive. I made it to the Bellingham baggage office 10 minutes from closing, picked up my estranged backpack, and then onto Coquitlam, BC, where my bus and my connecting bus pulled into the terminal simultaneously ("hang in there kid, it looks like you're gonna make it" the uber-camp, leather driving glove-wearing bus driver said over the speaker system). Dashed from one bus to the other and made it to Hope just 12 hours late which was amazing, considering. 

So I'd decided to work on organic farms across Canada travelling east. The first of these was an eco retreat on the Coquihalla River in Hope where I helped the host, Sue, pack up the retreat for winter's off-season and harvest and preserve vegetables for the winter. Dug potatoes, harvested kale, turnips, tomatoes and beets, learnt how to pressurise (can) potatoes. Generally helped out around the house and the grounds, tackled some weeds with roots that went all the way to hell. The first week I shared the cabin below with Melanie, a lovely 21-year old French girl, and the second week it was just me. Commandeered the bottom bunk and created a hibernation-worthy den of ten blankets and duvets. Snug. We showered outside every day (with eco friendly soap of course) and a couple of times treated ourselves to a wood fire hot tub. Perhaps not so eco friendly. 

Melanie and I hiked around Kawkawa Lake one day, and one night we went to a blues night at a local house in town; turns out the host's Mum used to babysit my cousin Sandie years ago. Met so many interesting people; a glamorous lady in her 70s who claimed to have discovered how to dispose of nuclear waste with no harmful effects to the environment, a Quebecois who described herself as Bill Gates, the Swedish documentary maker and her partner (whose rice recipe went like this, "Boom, boom, and then BOOM!"), and the star of the show, coconut lemon curd dollops of pale yellow deliciousness, created by the mother-in-law of the lady host who apparently won't give up the recipe for love nor money. Another night we went to Paul's house, whose garden complete with sauna looked like it had been created by Alan Titchmarsh. He made us a perfect caesar salad, black bean spaghetti with seafood, and the best cheesecake - and possible even dessert - of my life. Hot, berries, texture, mmm! Much laughter, most of which was about a 'fanny' conversation. I was laughing to myself for days after this.
Melanie's and my abode
One of the veggie patches
The bathroom
Wood fire hot tub
Staying right on the Coquihalla River
Melanie!
Walking in Hope, BC
Kawkawa Lake
Melanie and me at Kawkawa Lake
Turkey vulture, I think
Abandoned house
Abandoned house with a great view - I'd been reading a book of the lady who lived here!
Flashes of red
Diseased maple?
Kawkawa Lake
Coquihalla River
Fall in Hope